Summer Camp Counselor - Novato - #740714
Date: 01/14/2022 23:00 PM
City: Novato, California
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
EDMO is a national education nonprofit that provides equitable access to out-of-school learning opportunities designed to help every person cultivate a sense of self, own their impact, and show up in the world with curiosity, courage, and kindness. Since 2004, our award winning camps, classes, tutoring programs (and more!) have engaged kids' minds and bodies. Whether in person or online, all EDMO programs are hands-on, interactive, and fun - built to unlock the inner scientist, artist, or coder in every kid. At EDMO, we celebrate getting messy and making mistakes while encouraging creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration. Team members enhance social-emotional skills such as collaboration and empathy alongside our campers, making EDMO an environment where all people grow. Visit edmo.org to learn more.
EDMO’s summer team members spend 5-10 weeks of summer connecting with kids, honing leadership skills, and making a real impact - all while rocking wacky costumes and getting pied in the face! Our summer positions offer a unique opportunity to help kids uncover hidden talents and dive deeper into existing talents. Spend your summer pursuing your goals and developing invaluable, transferrable professional skills (including problem solving, time management, and leadership).
The Counselor is responsible for overseeing all day to day activities with their group of campers. They support instructors with curriculum in the classroom and help run organized periods of Team Time (Social and Emotional Learning curriculum) and Outdoor Game Time with their assigned group of campers daily. In addition, counselors should constantly be ready to rock that EDMO vibe with songs, skits, games, shaving cream pies, and more!
Main duties include:
- Approaching camper growth with passion and excitement
- Navigating groups of 12-25 kids through daily activities focused on various curriculum themes including science, technology, maker, nature and more
- Helping lead organized activities during Outdoor Game Time and Team Time for your group of campers
- Supporting instructors in the classroom with curriculum and hands-on classroom activities
- Working closely with other staff members to create fun camp games, songs, skits and activities – and participating in all
- Assisting in daily camper check in and check out procedures
- Supporting and building positive group dynamics among campers
- Interacting with parents in a professional and energetic manner
- Helping to cultivate healthy self-esteem and a natural love for learning
- Ensuring all campers are safe and have a positive experience in our program (this includes diligently following all EDMO Covid-19 guidelines and restrictions)
- Exhibiting the EDMO Vibe and demonstrating through actions and words each of the social emotional learning (SEL) skills of empathy, responsibility, initiative, collaboration, problem solving and emotion management, while also reinforcing these qualities in other staff and kids
Position reports to: Camp Director
If you are missing any of the qualifications listed below, or only have experience/expertise in one subject area please don't be discouraged! We love teaching like-minded humans! Please still apply if you are enthusiastic about this work and think you would be a strong fit.
Preferred qualifications are:
- Experience (and a love for!) working with kids
- Current college student or very mature high school student (must be at least 16 years old by start of the position)
- High sense of responsibility and dependability
- Contagious enthusiasm and charisma
- Strong team player
- Creative, flexible, and excellent multi-tasker
- Willingness to solve problems, be patient, and remain positive and fun
- Previous camp experience preferred but not required
- A large supply of costumes and/or a plethora of skits and songs in your back pocket is a PLUS!
This role is full time in the summer. Training dates will be in May. Exact dates to be discussed during the interview process. Dates depend on program sites with programs running from June - August, at a duration of 5-10 weeks.
Salary & Hours:
$16.50 - $18/hr depending on location/region and experience
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:45 AM - 4:15 PM with potential for overtime
There will be 32 total hours of spring training for this position.
Must be fully vaccinated with the COVID - 19 vaccine to work with EDMO.
For 2022 in-person programming: To ensure the safety of everyone in the EDMO community, we will be monitoring all local and state COVID-19 policies to determine the safest protocols. Staff will be expected to agree and uphold all safety protocols that are necessary once programs start.