Hostler - #741157
The SYGMA Network
Date: 01/15/2022 10:00 AM
City: Danville, Illinois
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
US3090 Sygma Illinois, a Division of The Sygma Network, Inc
Minimum Level of Education:
High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience:
To provide assistance to the Transportation and Warehouse teams by preparing equipment needed for loading, unloading and
dispatching according to established company standards.
- Works with the loaders and management team to move trucks and trailers from one location to another according to door assignments in order to complete the loading process in a timely manner; ensures trailer or truck is completely loaded and secured and the refrigeration unit is operating correctly before moving from the dock area; moves tractors and trailers as needed to facilitate the receiving process.
- Ensures all food safety protocols are met according to established guidelines (e.g. proper temperatures are maintained in the delivery vehicle and maintains sanitary conditions in tractor and trailer); assists with maintaining sanitary conditions with the building exterior, in the warehouse and yard.
- Completes trailer sanitation prior to reloading if needed (e.g. preparation, disposal of trash, sweeping, pressure washing).
- Performs daily inspections to incoming /outgoing equipment; completes the inventory of equipment necessary to and related to the operation of transportation (e.g. 2 wheeled hand carts, load bars).
- Handles all returned merchandise according to established standards (e.g. proper disposal of damage, logs, and records all items into or out of stock).
- Ensures all load bars and bulkheads are properly accounted for and stored according to established standards and that hand trucks are placed on the proper trucks; maintains and repairs reasonable damage to load bars and hand trucks; notifies management of outside sourcing for repairs not capable at center; ensure all trailer doors are properly secured prior to being relieved or leaving for the shift.
- Occasionally makes trips to truck service terminals for refueling and repairs when necessary; maintains periodic maintenance and calibration with trip master units.
- Picks up local backhauls when necessary, and/or makes deliveries to customers or vendors.
- Follows preferred work methods at all times, and immediately advises supervisor of any unsafe conditions.
- Maintains and safely operates all assigned equipment, including but not limited to hand cart, pallets, load bars, and personal protective equipment.
- Communicates with the management team regarding any trailer or loading issues, equipment issues or other concerns that arise during the work shift.
- Works assigned schedule and work overtime as needed; exhibits regular and predictable attendance.
- High school diploma/General Education Degree (GED) or equivalent degree
- 1 year of tractor-trailer experience preferred or the equivalent in work experience is preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, and/or Registrations
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License is preferred and may be required at some distribution centers.
- Knowledge of: safe lifting and delivery practices.
- Skill in: communicating with co-workers; solving problems.
- Ability to: read, write and communicate in English as it relates to the job and to safety regulations; perform basic math functions (e.g. add, subtract, multiply, divide); effectively plan and organize work activities independent of direct supervision; train other associates in using lift gates, ramps, and other tractor-trailer equipment; complete road tests for new hire candidates; be flexible, prioritize work and solve problems.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear.
- Frequently required to lift, push, or move product that weighs up to up to 50 pounds by hand and push/pulls up to 350 pounds of product with a 2-wheeled hand cart; climb in and out of a tractor and trailer; reach to stack and unstack products and hand cart; bend and twist while loading and unloading product, and retrieving items from trailer.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally exposed to wet, hot, extreme cold and/or humid conditions; and moving mechanical parts and may be required to work in confined spaces.
- Works non-traditional business hours including evenings, nights, weekends, holidays, on-call and starting at various start times are required in order to successfully meet customers’ needs.
- Occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
- Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For information on Sysco’s Benefits, please visit https://SyscoBenefits.com
HOW WE PROTECT OUR ASSOCIATES
Personal protective equipment and masks provided
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place
Sysco is the global leader in foodservice distribution. With over 57,000 associates and a fleet of over 13,000 vehicles, Sysco operates approximately 326 distribution facilities worldwide and serves more than 625,000 customer locations.
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We’re looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco is at the heart of food and service.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.