Educational Sign Language Interpreter - #99639
Johnston County Public Schools
Date: 04/19/2022 09:30 AM
City: Smithfield, North Carolina
Salary: $2,902 / month
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
TITLE OF POSITION: Educational Sign Language Interpreter
LOCATION: CIA/Exceptional Children
SALARY: Grade 66 ($2902/month)
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 Months
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Exceptional Children
JOB GOAL: The primary function of the educational sign language interpreter is to facilitate academic and functional communication for students who are deaf or hard of hearing and work closely with the exceptional children’s director, principals, EC teachers and other school based staff to improve the academic achievement of our Deaf and Hard of Hearing students in the Exceptional Children’s Program.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work collaboratively as a member of the educational team.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to establish trust and rapport with students and staff.
- Knowledge of the basic aspects of children’s educational, physical, social and emotional development.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of educational practices, the function of support services, and the role of interpreters as part of an educational team.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development specific to interpreting.
- Minimum 1 year of interpreting experience preferred.
- Must have a minimum Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) score of a 3.3 for educational interpreters. To maintain employment, the educational interpreter/transliterator must meet the requirements of a EIPA score of 3.5 within three years of employment.
- Must complete 20 hours of professional learning related to interpreting/transliterating annually and hold at least an AA degree in interpreting or a related field.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Match the individual student’s language needs/mode of communication.
- Collaborate with the educational team to develop instructional opportunities.
- As needed, participate as a member of the IEP team for the student/s served, in order to provide input towards interpreting and be knowledgeable of IEP additions/changes.
- Assist/ support the EC Director and DHH teachers with providing in-service to staff /administration in order to establish clear expectations and goals regarding the role of the interpreter.
- Prepare for interpreting by becoming familiar with course information, technical language and teaching styles.
- Adhere to school district performance standards, policies, practices and regulations.
- Participate in interpreting specific professional development.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing.
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations.
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching.
- Must possess a valid NC driver’s license.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, teachers, students, administrators, community members, and others.
DEADLINE: Until Filled.
DISCLAIMERS: The above statements are intended to describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this position. They are not intended to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and skills that may be required of the employees assigned to this position. This description may be revised by the supervisor, with HR review and approval, at any time.
Johnston County Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the employment or promotion of employees on the basis of gender, race, religion, age, national origin or disability.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.